MS Excel shortcut Keys – Navigation and Selection
Excel Shortcut Keys – Excel Keyboard shortcut keys help to minimizes the usage of mouse and allow you to work with your keyboard. MS Excel Shortcut Keys help to achieve efficiency and work productivity.
The commands covered here are apply to all popular versions of MS Excel such as MS Excel 2016, MS Excel 2013, MS Excel 2010, MS Excel 2007.
Basic Navigation Shortcuts in Excel :
- Arrow keys To Move from one cell to another cell.
- Tab To Move once cell to right
- Shift + Tab To Move once cell to left.
- Page Up To Move one screen up or down.
- Page Down To Move one screen up or down.
- Alt + Page Up To Move One screen Left side
- Alt + Page Down To Move One screen Right side
- Ctrl + Home To Move to the beginning of Sheet
- Home To Move to the beginning of Row
- Ctrl + End To Move to the last cell that contains data
- Ctrl + Arrow keys To Move to next cell that contains data. (It ignores blank cell)
Selection Shortcuts in Excel :
- Shift + Arrow key – To select single cell up/down/left/right or Multiple cells one by one.
- Shift+Space – To Select single Row
- Shift+Space & Shift + Up/Down Arrow Keys – To Select multiple rows;
- Ctrl + Space – To Select single Column
- Ctrl + Space & Shift + Left/Right Arrow Key – To select multiple columns;
- Shift+Page Down/Page Up – To Extend selection of one screen down/ up
- Ctrl+Shift+Arrow Keys – To select next cell that contains data or before blank cell.
- Shift+Home – To select from beginning of the row
- Ctrl + A – To select cell range that contains data. and again to select all cells.
- Ctrl+Shift+Home – To select upto first cell of the worksheet
- Ctrl+Shift+End – To select all cells upto last used cell
- Ctrl+G – To select row/ column via Go To menu
Common Options available after selecting single cell/row/column:
a) Delete selected cell/row/column/range
b) Insert same number of selected cell/row/column/range
c) Format cell/row/column/range.
d) Copy or Cut selected cell/row/column/range
e) Hide or Unhide selected cell/row/column/range
and many other useful commands as required.
Edit cell in excel and Navigate inside Cell:
These commands work inside a cell.
- F2 To edit cell.
- Esc To cancel edit
- Home To Jump to beginning
- End To end of cell
- Arrow Keys To move within cell
- Ctrl+Arrow Left/ Right To navigate by one word left/ right
- Shift+Arrow Left/Right To Select one character to the left/ right
- Ctrl+Shift+Arrow Left/Right To Select one word to the left/ right
- Shift+ Home/End To Select all words from cursor point to beginning/ end of cell
- Delete To delete one character left of cursor
- Backspace To delete one character right of cursor
- Ctrl+Delete To delete all words from cursor point to the end.
- Alt+Enter To start a new line inside cell.
- Ctrl+Enter To complete cell entry with moving.
Navigate outside cell:
- Enter To move one cell down after completion of entry.
- Shift+Enter To move one cell up after completion of entry.
- Tab To move one cell right after completion of entry
- Shift + Tab To move one cell left after completion of entry.
- Ctrl + ~ To view actual contents or formula of sheet
- Shift+Arrow Up/Down and select cells, now press F2 and type something, then press Ctrl+Enter, It will fill same content up/down to all selected cells.
Basic excel shortcut keys useful with selection commands:
- Ctrl+X To Cut selected cell
- Ctrl+C To Copy selected cells
- Ctrl+V To Paste after copy or cut action performed
- Ctrl+Alt+V To Open Paste Special Menu after copy or cut action performed
Options available after Paste special menu:-
- Ctrl+Alt+V, then V, Enter Paste Values
- Ctrl+Alt+V, then T, Enter Paste Formats
- Alt+Ctrl+V, then E, Enter Paste Transposed
- Ctrl+Alt+V, then W, Enter Paste Column Width
- Ctrl+Alt+V, then U, Enter Paste Values and Number Formats
- F3 Paste a defined name into a formula
Watch all 4 Youtube videos of excel shortcut keys below. Double click in frame for Full screen.
I hope this post is useful for your excel learning. Please share with your friends on social networks.Do not forget to Subscribe our YouTube channel for useful videos, Also Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Keep Smiling, Keep Visiting and Keep Learning.